29 November 2009

Maratona: Florence Marathon 2009




Life is strange. Something can be such a big part of your life for a period of time and then not at all.


For more than ten years, running marathons played a big part of my life. My first marathon was symbolic for a five-year anniversary of running from my life to running for my life. The marathon addiction began, and I couldn't imagine my life without running. 2002 was my last marathon as a runner, and 2006 was my last half marathon, however, no longer as a runner but rather as a racewalker. Loving Florence, I considered racewalking the 2007 Florence Marathon. I've since hung up my shoes, and I don't even think about it much any longer.


Today was the Florence Marathon, and the runners were blessed with ideal raceday weather. Traveling along the course at various points to capture photos, I eventually settled down at the Finish Line in Piazza Santa Croce.


It was an emotional day for me, seeing up close the runners as they approached and crossed the finish line with each runner having a varying emotion written on his/her face. I know the emotions well. It all came back to me as if it were yesterday. I stood there in awe, inspired. There were frequent moments tears of joy rolled down my face while a giant smile was plastered on my face because I know well what it feels like to turn that last corner, one-tenth mile to go to the finish line, giving all I have left in my spirit and soul, sprinting across the finish line (wanting to look good), having experienced in the prior few hours of running the gamut of emotions. Today I felt it again. An experience I never want to forget. And I also remember many of my running friends over the years with fond memories -- Toni; Tracy; Mark, my pace sweep (I was the pace leader); Judy, Jim, Chad, and so many others.


I expect to see many people proudly wearing their medals around town tomorrow. What a feat! Complimenti to everyone who ran.


-- Josslyn 'Giosalina'
Florence, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment